Month: August 2009

Piwik in, Google Analytics out

Posted by – 2009/08/27

I’ve stopped using Google Analytics and have now moved over to Piwik. I don’t have that many visitors, but there are still lots of good reasons to use Piwik. It’s better for everyone if I keep hold of my own stats instead of giving it all to Google and I may even do some Piwik hacking in the future.

Getting it working in Gallery2 was a bit of a pain, so I updated their wiki for them, but other than that it’s about the same as installing Google Analytics.

Subscribers are welcome to see my laughable stats :)

Irrlicht 1.5.1 for OSX

Posted by – 2009/08/20

I just uploaded an OSX release for Irrlicht 1.5.1, it includes an installer and installs Irrlicht as a shared libarary (Irrlicht.framework). This will be the first of many platforms supporting Irrlicht as an official, installed shared library.

Update: Now available from the Apple website, though they credited bitplane.net and removed the YASS credit for the screenshot. Next time I’ll submit a shorter description!

RDF defaced

Posted by – 2009/08/18

Last night I got an email from the admin of the Richard Dawkins Foundation forums inviting me to join a warez site, which was rather strange. Of course it turned out that the site was broken into by a script kiddie and defaced. I’m assuming that the database was downloaded so my generic weak forum password is currently being cracked, so I’ve took the precaution of changing it on as many forums as I can remember.

The kid will probably be caught as the attack has been reported to the FBI, he was stupid enough to use the same email address for multiple accounts and even post the name of the proxy site he used. This story has a moral though, make sure you have a strong password for places where you have administrator privileges, and make sure you don’t mindlessly log into sites claiming to be ones that you trust. I hope the RDF admins learned a lesson here!

Irrlicht 1.5.1 Released

Posted by – 2009/08/06

Yesterday we released Irrlicht 1.5.1. This will be the last 1.5.x release, development is now focused on 1.6 which will move to its own branch over the next week or so and become stable.

Changes in 1.5.1:

- Make sure a missing font does not corrupt the skin.
- Fix getAngle in vector2d as suggested by xray.
  This has only a minor impact on s32 vectors.
- bugfix: CGUIFont::getCharacterFromPos regards now kerning
  (found by Arras)
- Add support for range fog in some OpenGL versions.
- Fix for shadow volume removal, submitted by vitek.
- Avoid using X11 autorepeat to deal with broken X11 
  versions.
- Speculars are properly exported into mtl files now, 
  instead of corrupting them.
- Binary type loading in attributes fixed.
- bugfix: Use make_lower throughout for spritebank filenames 
  (found and patched by Ion Dune)
- STL loader fixed: Right-handedness corrected, normals and 
  bboxes are correctly added now.
- bugfix: CUnZipReader::openFile no longer returns true for
  empty files. Corresponding test added.
- Big endian issues in .x loader fixed.
- HSLColor methods repaired.
- copyToScaling fixed.
- Fixed problem with highlighting menus when mouse was 
  outside sub-menu area.
- bugfix (2796207): menu acted (wrongly) on left-click down 
  instead of left-click up.
- bswap16 fallback macro fixed
- getBaseName fixed to work correct with dots in filenames.
- static method isDriverSupported allows for simple 
  check of available drivers.
- Some defines added to check for the Irrlicht version of 
  the library.
- Make sure all renderstates are properly initialized
- Wrong size for main depth buffer fixed.
- Fix 3ds shininess to the allowed range.
- Fix loading of Collada files from irrEdit 1.2
- Remove texture pointers after texture clear.
- WindowsCE pathnames fixed.
- Some virtuals are now overridden as expected.
- Incomplete FBOs are properly signalled now
- Update to libpng 1.2.35, fixed issues on 64bit machines 
  with system's libpng.
- Fixed wrong grab/drop in setOverrideFont
- Added draw2dRectOutline
- rectf and recti added.
- Fix ALPHA_CHANNEL_REF to a fixed check for alpha==127 as 
  expected.
- Fixed OSX device bug where screen size was not set in 
  fullscreen mode.
- cursor setVisible changed to be called less often.
- OpenGL version calculation fixed.
- OSX device now supports shift and ctrl keys.
- Fixed ambient light issues in burningsvideo.
- device reset for d3d fixed when using VBOs.
- Fix dimension2d +=
- MD2 mesh loader: Now uses much less memory, 
  reduced number of allocations when loading meshes.
- OpenGL render state (texture wrongly cached) fixed.
- Fixed animator removal.
- Changed collision checks for children of invisible 
  elements to also be ignored (as they're actually 
  invisible due to inheritance).
- Fix terrain to use 32bit only when necessary, make 
  terrain use hw buffers. Heightmap loading and height
  calculation fixed. Visibility and LOD calculations updated.
- Some mem leaks fixed
- FPS camera resets the cursor better